14 November 2008

Was That A Rat?..

So ya, soya bean. AHAHAHA.

Ok lame.

Anyway, as you would know, am back in Miri.

Tonight I was out with Dad and Cousin Thing for dinner. Before that though, Mom came back from her own dinner with her friends and had forgotten to take the house key for herself. Thus, having herself locked outside the house and calling to inform me of her situation, we rushed home from Boulevard. Was there for just a while to find a 'Starcraft: Brood War' CD so my friends and I would be able to play in uni during Malaysian and Moral Studies classes. Apparently, shop owners don't find it interesting enough to be sold anymore. I am angered by this. Grr. :(

After saving my Mom from relentless mosquitoes, we headed back to town to the open air market. In the morning, I assume it's bustling with seedy butchers, smelly fishmongers and frugal housewives. This I am not completely sure, as you will never find me near this stink arena of discount negotiations and refusals. At night though, all of the merchants are back home defuming themselves and the food stalls open up. There's not really much of a variety of food and the crowd may sometimes repulse you. Occasionally, you may see a giant rat scuffling past you if you're lucky. Most times they would fall from the ceiling and land on your head.

I know I've posted about this place before, but the reason I go there for isn't for the sights, sounds and smells of the gross, but for the kolok mee, porridge and steamed chicken. I'm not exactly sure who they are or were, but apparently, many of the adult Mirians know about the ones who run this particularly popular stall. I only know one of them is the ex-vice-principal of SMK Chung Hua. And that he wears green school shorts almost every night. The kind primary school boys wear. Anyone into that? *shiver*

But ya, here's what I had.



Some chilli sauce to give your noodles some heat, soy sauce to add flavour to your porridge, white pepper on anything to get that extra syokness, and toothpicks to dig out every leftover piece of yummyness to savour as dessert.



Don't order anything like Milo Peng, Kopi O Peng, Teh C Peng. Odds are, they use tap water. Leftover from yesterday. Instead, order canned drinks and clean the top before sipping from or pouring out of it. I remember one email I received from a friend not long ago, supposedly a true story. A woman died on her boat. The C.o.D was poisoning. From her Cola can. She did not wipe the top of the can. What did the Cola can have? Dried rat piss.



Let me introduce my friends.



This is Koro Mi. Malays hate her. She was just never accepted among them. Sad case really.



This is Paul Ridge. He's very bland and boring. People always abuse him. They pour things. Salty things.



This is Chicken. It is an animal. Now it is a dead animal. I am friends with Chicken because it is tasty.

Mmm..

Forgive my lameness. It's kind of late and I can't really write properly. Everything is in a blur. Would like to bring someone here one day for a late night supper..

But ya, dinner was nice. Maybe because I drenched everything in soy sauce. Oh well. Bland is bland.

Hmm. I still have 1 more Twister in the kitchen. Do you hear it? Me thinks it calls for me.

Mmm..

Journey to obesity,
The Milkman