10 November 2006

Their Differences Make Them All The More Special.

Today was a nice day spent at Taman Awam. It was scorching hot I have to admit. But what happened earlier won't be a day to forget very soon.

It's Friday and the Leo Club was to carry out the barbecue outing with the Inclusive Class students. In short, a class of children with special needs. I will never use the word 'retarded' to describe them, neither have I used it before. The only people who are truly retarded are the ones who make fun of those who are different. No exception to who you are.

We started skewering fish balls, sausages, and chicken nuggets. Later on Miss Drina racked on the chicken wings on the wire mesh. The smoke was suffocating me. I was given the responcibility of buttering the barbecue items. Whee. It was hot. Anyway, the weather started to cool down, as some clouds started to gather in front of the sun. We cooked more food and then served them first to those kids, meaning the special guys. They enjoyed the sausages especially. Anyway, I took a break from buttering the food, and decided to pass around some of the sausages to the kids if they wanted any. When I asked a little girl if she wanted some, she just took a stick and said quietly, "xie xie". I could have sworn my heart melted, it was the sweetest thing I've witnessed for quite some time. I coulden't help smiling. Another girl just took a stick and looked up and gave another sweet smile. Although she had trouble with her hands, as it was distorted in some way, she managed to grasp her cup and the stick without dropping any of each. I suppose they aren't so different once you get to know them better.

The girls were sweet, but I can't say the same for the boys. They were very noisy and coulden't behave as well as the girls. I didn't like it very much, but I know that they can't control themselves properly. After the barbecue breakfast/lunch, Miss Pang instructed us to guide the kids to the waddling pool. It was on, and water was flowing, so thats a good thing, the water wasn't stagnant. I was afraid some of them would pee and the pool would get yellow. They looked like they had alot of fun. Some people even joined in even though they didn't bring spare clothing, like Kim How and Jsun Loong, they dragged some of the girls that came along too, after they got hit by the girls with water balloons.

In the end part, a birthday song was sung to celebrate one of the kid's birthday. Then Kristine asked me to play at the playground and when her mom came to pick her up, it was time for me to walk back home. It wasn't very far anyway. What's more, I needed a tan. Looking like tofu isn't appealing. On the way back home, I still thought about those kids, the way they say thank you, or when they smile even though they didn't know how to talk.

Sometimes, it makes you wonder, why God made them to be like this. But I suppose ignorance is bliss. It's best not to think about it, and try our best, to understand them better.

I should probably bring up about a trip to the Sunflower centre during the next prefect meeting.